Medicinal herbs for natural hemorrhoids treatment have been a part of the herbalist’s toolbox for many years.
Hemorrhoids are a condition that many people live with or seek to self-treat. A good herbal remedy for hemorrhoids will be a part of an overall program that focuses on nutrition, exercise, and supplementation.
These areas of focus will help relieve the pain, increase the tone of the blood vessels, and regulate the bowels to decrease the incidents of hemorrhoidal flare-ups.
It is important to visit a medical professional if the hemorrhoids continue to be a problem or if they worsen.
Self-diagnosis and treatment can sometimes lead to further complications. Herbal supplements for natural hemorrhoids relief should be a part of any treatment program.
Natural Herbs Used For Hemorrhoids Treatment
Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis)
Aloe vera is an herbal supplement that has many medicinal uses. Due to its astringent and wound healing properties it has gained favor as an herbal remedy for hemorrhoids when applied directly to the inflamed area. Its ability to soften stools when ingested makes it a double-edged sword in the battle against hemorrhoids.
Butcher’s Broom (Ruscus aculeatus)
The active ingredient in butcher’s broom, ruscogenin, helps to tone and reduce the inflammation in blood vessels. It also helps strengthen vein and capillary walls to reduce irritation and rupture. Studies have shown that this herb helps facilitate movement of blood out of the legs and back toward the heart. These properties make Butchers broom one of the several herbs for natural hemorrhoids treatment.
Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus)
Bilberry is another of the herbal supplements for natural hemorrhoids relief that works to strengthen the vein and capillary walls. As a tonic for the blood vessels, it helps to keep the blood moving through the vessels and reduce the chance of inflammation and rupture.
Horse Chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum)
Horse chestnut is another of the herbal remedies for hemorrhoids that act as a vasoconstrictor and venotonic. It also helps to stop the enzymes that destroy damaged veins. Increasing the tone and reducing the rate of breakdown of these veins decreases the inflammation and the loss of strength in these vessels.
Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana)
Witch hazel is a great treatment for the painful burning and itching associated with hemorrhoids. It is a cooling and soothing astringent. It helps to temporarily relieve the pain when applied topically. The cooling sensation, along with a temporary reduction in the inflammation, provides immediate pain relief.
Psyllium (Plantago psyllium, Plantago arenaria, Plantago ovata)
Psyllium falls under the category of constipation relief. The psyllium seeds absorb water in the stomach and intestines causing them to swell and help move waste along the lower intestinal tract. This constipation relief helps relieve the cause of the hemorrhoids, as well as many of the symptoms.
Other natural herbs that have been used for hemorrhoids relief and treatment.
- Great mullein – (Verbascum thapsus)
- Gotu kola – (Centella asiatica)
- Ginkgo biloba – (Ginkgo Biloba)
- St. John’s Wort – (Hypericum perforatum)
- Comfrey – (Symphytum officinale)
- Stinging Nettle – (Urtica dioica)
- Slippery Elm – (Ulmus rubra)
- Pau d’Arco – (Tabebuia impetiginosa)
- Cascara Sagrada – (Rhamnus purshiana)
- Yarrow – (Achillea millefolium)
- Calendula – (Calendula officinalis)
- Self Heal – (Prunella vulgaris)
- Bistort – (Bistorta officinalis)
- Brooklime – (Veronica beccabunga)
- Biting Stonecrop – (Sedum acre)
- Blackberry – (Rubus fruticosus)
- Great Burnet – (Sanguisorba officinalis)
- Common Figwort – (Scrophularia nodosa)
- Cranesbill – (Geranium maculatum)
- Quinine Bark Tree – (Cinchona officinalis)
- Bayberry – (Myrica cerifera)
- Neem – (Azadirachta indica)
- Shepherd’s Purse – (Capsella bursa-pastoris)
- Rhatany – (Krameria lappacea)
- Water Pepper – (Persicaria hydropiper)
- Purslane – (Portulaca oleracea)
- Knotgrass – (Polygonum aviculare)
- Fumitory – (Fumaria officinalis)
The Use of Herbal Supplements for Natural Treatment of Hemorrhoids
The use of herbal supplements for natural hemorrhoids relief can be an effective tool in an overall treatment plan.
As with any herbal treatment plan, the options should be discussed with a physician or other medical professional and researched appropriately.
Proper use of supplements and monitoring of the disease process should be a part of any herbal remedy for hemorrhoids.
Latest posts by Thordur Sturluson (see all)
- What is the Difference Between Hemp and Marijuana? - June 3, 2019