Many people today who suffer from kidney stones look for natural remedies and medicinal herbs to help to remove kidney stones and to treat the related symptoms.
There are many natural herbs that can help with the departure aspect as well as herbal remedies that can help to address the size of the stones departing. The stones can vary in size from as small as a minute grain of sand to as large as golf balls and in many cases the stones can cause pain that is so intense that a person has to be admitted to the hospital for emergency care.
There are a number of herbal remedies and herbs for the common symptoms of kidney stones which include mild to excruciating abdominal pain, pain in the genital area when the stone is moving, sudden and extreme pain in the area of the buttocks, a burning sensation during urination, profuse sweating, nausea, bleeding and fever.
Medicinal Herbs Used to Remove and Treat Kidney Stones
1. Herbs that will reduce infection, pain, spasms connected to kidney stones:
Cramp bark (Viburnum opulus )
Typically, cramp bark has been used to relieve cramps and muscle spasms, including menstrual cramps and cramps during pregnancy. It is used for the kidneys to address spasmodic urinary conditions. Some herbalists have used it to help with the treatments of cancer, hysteria, infection, nervous disorders, scurvy and uteritis. Additionally, herbalists have also found it to be an effective herbal remedy when used as a diuretic, emetic, purgative and sedative.
Joe-pye weed (Eupatorium purpureum)
By supporting adrenal function, liquorice helps improve energy levels and general well-being during times of stress. In addition, liquorice is also a mild laxative that supports digestion. Liquorice root is also an effective anti-inflammatory herb that will sooth eczema from within.
2. Herbs that will get rid of the kidney stones:
Agrimony (Agrimonia Eupatoria )
This herb is used for a number of ailments, including purifying the blood. Herbalists often recommend it for colds, fevers, and diarrhea. Because of its astringent action it is frequently recommended as an herbal mouthwash, and can be applied in a lotion to help with minor sores, ulcers, blemishes and pimples.
- Horsetail – (Equisetum arvensis
- Yarrow – (Achillea millefolium)
- Varuna – (Crataeva nurvala)
- Shepherd’s Purse – (Capsella bursa-pastoris)
- Saint-John’s-wort – (Hypericum perforatum)
- Stinging Nettle – (Urtica dioica)
- Common Mallow – (Malva sylvestris)
- Madder – (Rubia tinctorum)
All these herbs have also been used traditionally as an herbal treatment to reduce the bleeding caused by kidney stones.
3. Herbs that will help reduce Uric Acid:
Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria)
This herb has been commonly used for colds, respiratory problems, acid indigestion, peptic ulcers, joint problems, skin diseases and diarrhea.
One of its historical uses was in the late 1800s when it was used as an herbal pain-killer. This gives explanation to a number of its other uses which includes anti-inflammation and the treatment of arthritis and joint pain. It is identified as an anti-inflammatory, diuretic and astringent.
Interestingly, it is also used to calm stomach pain and relieve stomach ulcers because in its natural form it operates as a digestive.
Other herbs that have also been used traditionally to help reduce uric acid.
- Sarsaparilla – (Smilax regelii)
- Joe-pye weed – (Eupatorium purpureum)
- Plantain – (Plantago major)
- Heather – (Calluna vulgaris)
4. Herbs that may help in the prevention of kidney stones:
- Cranberries – (Vaccinium macrocarpon)
- Bilberry – (Vaccinium myrtillus)
- Rosemary – (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Lovage – (Levisticum officinale)
- Pipsissewa – (Chimaphila umbellata)
The Use of Herbal Remedies for Kidney Stones
Remember that no matter what herbal remedies or herbs for kidney stones you choose, it is important to have proper medical supervision to find the right treatment for the treatment of kidney stones and equally important is keeping to a healthy diet and lifestyle that will help with kidney stone prevention.